Zynga gets 2nd quarter boost from mobile games

  • General
  • August 2, 2018
  • 48
  • 4 minutes read
Zynga founder and Executive Chairman Mark Pincus

  image credit : Flickr/Web Summit

Game developer Zynga just released its financial results for the 2nd quarter indicating an up in its statistics with the company posting $217 million for the quarter up from $209.2 million last year with total bookings coming at $233.9 million thanks to a boost in its mobile games with Zynga now generating 90% of its revenues from mobile in comparison to its remaining 10% from its once top grossing and legacy desktop games.

The company behind popular games CSR Racing, Words With Friends and Zynga Poker among others reported bookings up by 21%, 49% and 13% respectively on a year-on-year basis representing a usage boost for the company’s mobile games, many of which it has added through several acquisitions and mergers of other smaller game studios.

Even with this, Zynga’s daily active player number slipped from 25 million as at last quarter to 23 million as of now with its monthly active user stats also slipping to 1.1 million from a year long 1.2 million as the company also reported a net loss of $911,000 in comparison to analyst expectations of about $15 million in Q2 losses.


May this year, Zynga made a major acquisition of Instabul and U.K. based game developer Gram Games snapping up the company for $250 million which stands at the second highest known price it has paid for an acquisition since its inception.

Gram is behind several popular titles including 1010!, Bounzy! and Merge Dragons which has seen very good adoption by mobile players around the globe boosting Zynga’s reach and potential for future growth.

Quoting Zynga CEO and EA veteran Frank Gibeau in the company’s earning call, He stated “Our live services strategy of creating innovative bold beats and feature enhancements that increase player engagement is paying off, as our forever franchises – Words With Friends, CSR2 and Zynga Poker – collectively delivered double-digit year-over-year mobile revenue and bookings growth.”

…”All of these features drove higher levels of player engagement which contributed to a strong advertising performance, as well as the continued adoption of user pay monetization in the game.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.